X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fengshen View Post
    People who still expect AAA games to come to Linux should maybe work on making a proper driver-set for each and every bit of hardware that's regularly used in PC's and compatible with -all- Linux kernels. Up till now, that has been the greatest problem with releasing games for Linux. That, plus the fact that every kernel has its own drivers that are constantly changing and not nearly as efficient as the official drivers for the same hardware in Windows.
    Until then, it's just impossible for companies to produce AAA games for Linux.
    Actually Linux drivers are nearly on part with Windows one, on a big distro nearly everything is plug 'n play. Exception are: some WIFI card, some printers, some very specifics gimmicks options (like volume control on a laptop, but implemented Windows only in an awkward way). In fact more and more drivers comes first on Linux than on Windows, or has better performances (sandy bridge, USB3...)

As for graphic cards, it is a little bit slower for Nvidia, slower with AMD, but anyway \\ the fact is that most AAA games are released on console too, and even half my graphic card has the power of more than a Xbox 360 and a playstation 3 together. Also every game that is multiplatforme and get a release on the playstation MUST be openGL (or in fact the proprietary playstation specs, ripped off openGL ES, a "simplified" openGL). Sure the port is not free of work, but with some preparation, can be relatively painless.

And the fact that Linux is more diversified, and thus harder to develop on, lies mostly. The majority of changes on the kernel are made with retrocompatibility in mind (just look he maillist of Wayland to see how sacro-saint it is), so any software made for an old version will work in the new (can't say that for win XP --> 7). Plus, a lot of people are on the latest version, or have all up-to-date (statistically, it doesn't appear well, since a lot of servers use "old" but safe software). So developing with the latest kernel in mind is safe, want to be even moar saffer, distribute your game with his own set of driver, Windows games do that since a while (do you want to install directX X.XX?).

Comment

• Originally posted by ERtrys View Post
      Is this game already done?
      Yes, it is already done next year.

Comment

• Fixed the problem together with the support. I hope it works now.
        "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
        - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Comment

• I just come back from holidays and I'm totally amazed by the last days progress and all these stretch goals unlocked.
          Thank you everyone for making this happens ! We rock !

Comment

• I haven't been around for a while as I decided to step away from the forums for a bit but the close of the kickstarter fund raiser has sent me back.

So happy that Grim Dawn/Crate SMASHED it's goal for kickstarter funding!

Congratulations Crate! You guys deserve the lot and I'm happy that you'll be able to make the game that you've lost so much sleep over and that we'll all be able to play it.

Having played Diablo 3 a fair bit now, I'm REALLY looking forward to Grim Dawn and I HOPE that you guys play Diablo 3 a lot and learn from it's mistakes/let downs.

But we all know that Grim Dawn won't be a dumbed down ready-to-console-port version and employ a dreadful always on DRM "security" mechanic.

Once again, a big congratulations and thanks for being so honest and caring with your community. I think this is a large reason why you guys have reached your goals thus far. Keep it up!
            Legendary Key Holder

Comment

• Kickerstarter

So, this new kickstarter thing seems to have blown the old "piracy" is why we dont develop on PC anymore argument.
              I always knew it was just a smoke screen and an excuse for lazy ports,
              now we see the evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by HumblingPie View Post
                So, this new kickstarter thing seems to have blown the old "piracy" is why we dont develop on PC anymore argument.
                now we see the evidence.
                I haven't bought many games from companies solely because of draconian DRM (ubisoft, GFWL) which serve only to hurt the customer. Pirates always find a way around DRM. I guess those same companies don't realize they're scaring away customers as opposed to stopping piracy.

Comment

• Yes I am so pleased that the Kickstarter has gone well for the team. Well done everyone in the community and Crate!
                  ------------
                  http://www.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?18-Grim-Dawn
                  IncGamers Grim Dawn Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by HumblingPie View Post
                    now we see the evidence.
                    The old "we don't develop for PC anymore" is because the pubs see a bigger market with consoles. That and laziness. Iron Lore owes its death to that mentality. From what I've read, THQ pulled the plug on them because they didn't want IL making any more PC-only titles. Rat bastards.
                    Kickstarter's crowd funding promises to completely bypass that kind of thinking; studios no longer need depend on high and mighty publishers for their funding..
                    Grim Dawn Boxed Special Edition

Comment

• crap!

How did I miss this??? Woe is me! I wanted that George Washington wig!

Great job guys!

Comment

• Very well done guys! I saw the final contributed total recently, but I've not had a day off to come here and say congratulations yet
                        Death is lighter than a feather. Duty heavier than a mountain -al'Lan Mandragoran

Comment

• As long as you have emailed the upgrades address with your details, you should be good, regardless of the reward option you actually selected.

Comment

• glad to be a loyalist supporter

Comment

Working...
                            X