X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory Mac release thread

I swear I searched for a previous thread on this and it yielded nothing.

Even fearing general reproach, I'd like to know if there are any plans to port the game to Mac OS X once the logical Windows original has been released. Now that Steam has made the big leap forward, could you possibly benefit from their SDK to port the game?

I'll be buying the game for Windows anyway... good old Boot Camp will have to suffice.

Originally posted by harlequ1n View Post
    I swear I searched for a previous thread on this and it yielded nothing.

Even fearing general reproach, I'd like to know if there are any plans to port the game to Mac OS X once the logical Windows original has been released. Now that Steam has made the big leap forward, could you possibly benefit from their SDK to port the game?

I'll be buying the game for Windows anyway... good old Boot Camp will have to suffice.
    There definitely was one! The answer is that we need to concentrate on getting the game completed for Windows before we can even start looking into other platforms.

The main stumbling block is that there is no DirectX for mac.

Comment

Is it possible to enable searching for three-letter words? Searching for "mac" returns a "too short" error. It's not too short!

Comment

Here you go, although it started with Linux.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showt...ghlight=lugaru

Comment

Thanks for the link Rhis. I just hope someday small (and big) developers can free themselves from the chains of DirectX.

Comment

I previously never cared about this, had my mac as a laptop, linux at work and XP at home, basically just for TQ and MAME.

But I got a new macbook and TQ (on 7RC in boot camp) runs better on this machine than on my asus laptop. (sure it was twice the price but, damn these macs are pretty.)

But now, finding myself looking at the bill for my 7 upgrade, damn. Its just not gonna happen. Sure 7 is "better" than xp but not by much and there is still all the senseless windows crap like drive letters, backslashes, the registry, virus scanners, malware scanners, spyware scanners and, well basically windows is just not very fun anymore. Except for the games...

I guess I should get off my butt and figure out what is holding TQ back from working flawlessly with Wine/Crossover. But, I think I am gonna go farm the secret secret passage instead.
            Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiaco View Post
              But now, finding myself looking at the bill for my 7 upgrade, damn. Its just not gonna happen. Sure 7 is "better" than xp but not by much and there is still all the senseless windows crap like drive letters, backslashes, the registry, virus scanners, malware scanners, spyware scanners and, well basically windows is just not very fun anymore. Except for the games...

Putting the fun back in Windows:

Tweakhound Win7 Guide

Tweak Hound's guide will show you how to disable and streamline all the needless and bloated feature of Win7 while maintaining full functionality and security.

Open Office

Open Office provides all the functionality and compatibility of Office without giving hundreds of dollars to Microsoft.

Malware Bytes

Malware Bytes is a free and amazingly powerful Antivirus/Malware scanner with a tiny footprint that runs and updates when you tell it to and only when you tell it to.

CCleaner

CCleaner is a very smart very safe program that performs routine maintenance and properly cleans your system including registery entry's and old drivers. Running it once a month will keep your system running silky.

Last but not least:

Firefox

Firefox is a small, fast and highly modifiable web browser. When combined with AdBlock Plus and NoScript you will be provided with a lightning fast, safe and secure, ad free, hijack free browsing experience.
              Last edited by Void(null); 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM.
              After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

Comment

Thanks but really, no thanks. Sure I use Firefox on all my OSes but the rest of the stuff is not FUN. I dont care if it is free or not. And now that Oracle owns Mysql, OO, and virtualbox, I am trying to get myself away from those things as well. my point is, on my mac, I have basically installed nothing. Of course there is nothing to do but browse email and the web. But if I could also play TQ, then I would not have to install Avast, Malbites, etc...

In fact, my gaming rig is password locked just to keep the wife off of it so it does not have to run any anti-ware. Boots and shuts down it under 5 seconds and is the finest tuned xp machine I have ever worked on.

Anyway, OT, the only point is for crate, maybe not GD but eventually you should try to prune yourselves off directx and move to opengl or whatever diablo2/3 is using to be easily cross platform. windows is on its way out, by the time they get the oil out of the gulf...
                Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiaco View Post
                  windows is on its way out, by the time they get the oil out of the gulf...
                  hahaha, you think they'll actually be able to get all that oil out? IIRC, that rig is STILL pumping out oil.

Comment

I feel exactly like jiaco. I'm not very fond of babysitting my OS for the only purpouse of occasional gaming, that's why for us Mac users Windows is a festering wound to our HDD.

Comment

Let us put down our swords and pick up our plowshares.

As long as the game isn't scheduled for console release, I'll be happy. I'm seriously tired of console style UIs (amongst other limitations) in my PC games.

I prefer PC, but that's because I enjoy building it myself and don't like paying the prices that Apple charges for comparable hardware. For that matter if I didn't have my PC I'd likely end up using Linux. Oh and I hate the white color that Apple seems fond of. The silver is pretty nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by harlequ1n View Post
                        Thanks for the link Rhis. I just hope someday small (and big) developers can free themselves from the chains of DirectX.
                        I like to know if developers feel this way about DirectX...I hear this all the time on game forums but never from the developers themselves. Would any of the devs care to elaborate on why most games these days are done in DirectX? Is it like what people make out (Microsoft has their hand around your neck) or is it just the preference of most game devs?

BTW, Windows guys here!
                        "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

I knew Steam opening up to Mac was a bad idea. Give them the orange box and suddenly they have these delusions Mac is a gaming platform.

Last edited by Void(null); 05-29-2010, 01:45 AM.
                          After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Void(null) View Post
                            I know Steam opening up to Mac was a bad idea. Give them the orange box and suddenly they have these delusions Mac is a gaming platform.

Haha, glad you said it and not me. I think it had to be said though.

Comment

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
                              I like to know if developers feel this way about DirectX...I hear this all the time on game forums but never from the developers themselves. Would any of the devs care to elaborate on why most games these days are done in DirectX? Is it like what people make out (Microsoft has their hand around your neck) or is it just the preference of most game devs?

BTW, Windows guys here!
                              From my experience, it has better support (in terms of resources available to developers), better documentation, and is just overall more developer friendly. It certainly doesn't hurt that it has been the standard on the Windows platform for years now, which just results in more devs using it, which further cements its status. That wouldn't be the case if it wasn't excellent though.

Having said that, OpenGL really is pretty decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X