Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factions

Originally posted by medierra View Post
    Originally posted by shawnmck View Post
    Are there going to be vampires & werewolves too ?
    You can't have a victorian themed game (sort of) without vampires, wherewolves.
    I wouldn't count them out... we talked about them possibly being other races in the game that are native to Cairn and once were enemies of mankind but could become potential allies against the greater threat posed by the otherworldly races. We brainstormed an idea where by killing one vs. the other and doing certain quests you could gain faction and ultimately unlock new quests / rewards with either the vampires or werewolves
    If there will be factions in GD, then I'd like them to be better and more entertaining than in WoW. Factions should not become obsolete. The upcoming installments should take your achievements into account and let you proceed from the point, where the it ended in the last installment. Can we also expect, that gaining faction can be completed in a reasonable amount out time?

When you replay the game on epic and legendary ... will you start all over again? Or will your faction already be set, and you can only replay the same quest line?

Pffffffff... the forum ate my reply

I'll just sum up whatever I still remember in a few sentences, there's no way in hell I'll rewrite all that:

-Wow-like "get x reputation points for killing a member of the opposing faction or by repeating some demeaning reputation quest" is a big no-no, it's just boring.
    -Players could be able to donate weapons, armor, gold to a faction.
    -Players involvement with a faction should span over the difficulties, upping replay value for other characters.
    -Some quests / events could involve playing with faction members that are armed by what you have donated to the faction.
    -These quests could be along the lines of taking out the opposing factions leaders with a group of faction members (higher difficulty -> higher up leader, culminating in an epic battle in the final difficulty level) or raiding some legendary beasts lair.

I'm sure there's something I forgot, but whatever.

Comment

Trading with merchants/services of a particular faction (different factions offering slighly different services perhaps)?

Comment

Uhm, how would you track that? GD will be something alike Diablo or TQ, not a MMORPG.

Unless it would be stuff you'd have to do in one game. Like, inside one quest or a line of few.

Comment

I don't imagine it would be that hard to track. I'd imagine it would just be a set of variables (a variable for each faction) with say a number between 1 and 100 assigned to it, 1 being "hated" and 100 be "revered" or whatever.

I quite like the idea of some kind of faction system. Adds an interested mechanic and more immersion.
          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/klo0ga

Comment

Originally posted by cel View Post
            Pffffffff... the forum ate my reply
            Assuming you're using firefox, grab Lazarus Form Recovery, it comes in REALLY handy.

Factions; could be kinda cool. What if you can choose a faction at the start? Maybe you can spawn in a different city as a different class.... hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Kluga View Post
              I don't imagine it would be that hard to track. I'd imagine it would just be a set of variables (a variable for each faction) with say a number between 1 and 100 assigned to it, 1 being "hated" and 100 be "revered" or whatever.

I quite like the idea of some kind of faction system. Adds an interested mechanic and more immersion.
              Kluga, you're missing the point. Every player can play it differently. Then they gather in one game and what? Would that variable of Yours be averaged? It won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by andreyy View Post
                Kluga, you're missing the point. Every player can play it differently. Then they gather in one game and what? Would that variable of Yours be averaged? It won't work.
                Why would it have to be averaged over players in MP? The simplest way of doing would be to have a character's standing with a given faction be saved as a stat of that character (like Dex, Int, etc) & then the NPCs react to each character based on the character's standing with the NPC's faction. It might cause issues if quests required certain minimum/maximum faction, but not if it "just" allowed you to use certain NPCs.

Comment

Than it might be interesting to have class-specific factions; perhaps, rangers, knights and mages, for example. You'd have the possiblity to align yourself with a faction that sells the equipment you use most. Not sure if that's a good idea, but well, just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Llama8 View Post
                    Why would it have to be averaged over players in MP? The simplest way of doing would be to have a character's standing with a given faction be saved as a stat of that character (like Dex, Int, etc) & then the NPCs react to each character based on the character's standing with the NPC's faction. It might cause issues if quests required certain minimum/maximum faction, but not if it "just" allowed you to use certain NPCs.
                    Read the thread from beginning. The starting point, is that faction alignment could unlock quests. What if different heroes in a team would have different alignments? Each one could make their unlocked quests, but without the others?

It's good for a MMORPG, not for this genre.

Comment

You could, ofcourse, just disable the ability for players to do certain quest. Than they can join the player who gets the quest, but they won't get the quest reward or dialog if they have a different faction.

Still, I'm not sure if that's such a particularly good idea.

Comment

Or have the faction-based quests dependant on the character that started the server & not give anyone without the required faction the quest rewards as Yerk said.
                        Or just disable them in MP (or enable all of them in MP).

Comment

Working...
                        X