Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of preorders?

Hey Crate,
    I was just wondering, how many preorders have you received, and what type has been the most prevalent, I read a while back that it was Legendary, is that still the case?

As Dr. Evil would say: "One hundred BILLION preorders!"

TECHNOmancer
    "We already know Crate has talented people as well...do we need to pretend Blizzard has a bunch of monkeys sitting around slapping keyboards to appreciate what Crate is doing with Grim Dawn?" -- Renevent

"There seems to be a distinct lack of appreciation of what it takes to create something." -- Renevent

Comment

ehm, isnt that a bit like asking a person how 'old' he/she is?

I think it's a bit of private question. Although i would also like to know the answer, i wont ask it.

My guess would be somewhere around 1000 (no idea) but i'm hoping they'll still receive a lot of preorders closer to release of the game.

Anyway, its up to us to help them spread the word that GD is coming out in the future, the more ppl know the more there are that will preorder.

I got my key, after that i was able to convince 2 of my friends, and know i'm working to get my cousin into the game ^^. I've also mentioned crate in some forums for publicity. So start advertising ppl!!!!

Comment

I'd imagine that if the pre-orders ever reach some notable number they would eventually let us know.
        "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

I almost posted the over-nine-thousand one, but it's just so very old

*Being subtle in my use of old memes*
          Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
          8 GB RAM
          i7 3770K
          Radeon 7870HD (2 in crossfire, but disabled for GD) (driver: 13.4)
          Two monitors: (1920x1080; main) + (1920x1200)

Comment

We'll know the number once we see the closing credits for the game! I'm happy to wait until then.

TECHNOmancer
            "We already know Crate has talented people as well...do we need to pretend Blizzard has a bunch of monkeys sitting around slapping keyboards to appreciate what Crate is doing with Grim Dawn?" -- Renevent

"There seems to be a distinct lack of appreciation of what it takes to create something." -- Renevent

Comment

82 Normal
              234 Epic
              and over 1113 Legendary! (1114)

Also 2 donations for $1000 each from some very generous supporters.

So, it certainly isn't enough to start paying salaries but it has helped out quite a bit in terms of outsourcing and buying important hardware / software that we otherwise probably couldn't have afforded.

The number of pre-orders we each month fluctuates but is generally trending up. I don't think we will see significant sales though until we actually release something. Most people just aren't going to risk giving money to an indie studio for a game that isn't out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                82 Normal
                234 Epic

Also 2 donations for $1000 each from some very generous supporters.

The number of pre-orders we each month fluctuates but is generally trending up.
                This looks like a good update for July!

TECHNOmancer

Comment

82 Normal
                  234 Epic

Also 2 donations for $1000 each from some very generous supporters
                  That's great to see! Most companies are rather anal about releasing sales...

Ah well, that 1000 bucks donations, man, that's insane!

Comment

Awesome!

I was actually expecting to see normal and epic sell more than legendary, that is going to be a ton of names in the credits.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreckle View Post
                      I was actually expecting to see normal and epic sell more than legendary, that is going to be a ton of names in the credits.
                      I'm not surprised ... about one month after these forums started:
                      The breakdown is about 78% Legendary, 17% Epic, 5% Normal.
                      we priced Legendary thinking not very many people would get it. I'd have expected the reverse numbers but I guess there are some pretty hardcore TQ fans out there.
                      As we had the confidence to pay for a product in development, it made all the more sense to go all the way. The long credits demand for a very good piece of music (maybe a medley of the best parts of the soundtrack).

Comment

That's not too bad for pre-order numbers IMO, especially since I haven't personally seen any advertising. This means everything has been pretty much word of mouth, which is fantastic as is.

Upon release I hope you're prepared for the incredible storm that will be heading your way. It's gonna be raining money. (Hopefully)

Comment

The game industry in general tends to be very secretive but I've never really seen the advantage of it in most cases. There are instances where you have big, rival companies developing competitive products where it might be a competitive edge to keep something secret but I think that is the exception.

Most of the time I think companies are secretive to their own detriment / the detriment of the industry as a whole. For example, there was so much concern about not leaking Titan Quest information that I think the game managed to release without anyone hearing about it.

Even though it goes against ingrained habits, the more open we've been at Crate, the more we've seen it benefit us.

While it totally goes against all of my experience in the industry to release pre-order numbers, I can't think of a lot of good reasons not to. On the other hand, the information could be useful to other indie teams wondering how much development funding they might be able to generate with a pre-order system.

Comment

How many people actually set their name for the credits?

Comment

Congratulations on those pre-orders. Not bad if you consider that the game is not even in the alpha and it is not a AAA-Title.

I remember Battleforge, an EA game, where the Devs treasured every single piece of info. No teasers, not previews, nothing even though they could have done awesome stuff (I knew someone who worked there so I know) but noooo. Just releasing one simple piece info was a huge thing for them.
                              I think that is just wrong and sad. Studios can get so much publicity if they weren't as secretive over everything. I understand that you don't want to releae infos on features that might not make it in but some screenshots of the main-char should be possible. -.-

That being said I really love your way of giving us as much info as possible.
                              Highly appreciated and keeps the excitement running.
                              "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
                              - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Comment

Working...
                              X