X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New stuff?

You haven't shown us anything new since 29 March...when are you planning to do something about it?

They have...they unveiled an entirely new feature to the engine that deals with randomization for level layout.
    "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showp...71&postcount=1

Comment

Nice info...from what I read about Diablo 3, everything will be randomized...but they won't let bugs slip in neither...so I think Diablo wins again, with Random randomisation!!

Comment

Originally posted by Floro View Post
          Nice info...from what I read about Diablo 3, everything will be randomized...but they won't let bugs slip in neither...so I think Diablo wins again, with Random randomisation!!
          There is no such thing as perfect randomization, I don't think you can reach a conclusion that "Everything will be randomized", it's just not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
            There is no such thing as perfect randomization, I don't think you can reach a conclusion that "Everything will be randomized", it's just not possible.
            I bet that "randomize everything"-approach is not all fun and games. It would not just have to randomize pathways, creature stats and spawns; but quests, events, towns, climate, terrain and maybe even story. All this while not looking any less beautiful, feeling less polished or unbalancing the game.

And let's not forget that it must make the game better.
            Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
            8 GB RAM
            i7 3770K
            Radeon 7870HD (2 in crossfire, but disabled for GD) (driver: 13.4)
            Two monitors: (1920x1080; main) + (1920x1200)

Comment

And let's not forget that it must make the game better.
              I hardly see how doing all that and keeping the above true is possible, like I said lol.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates. It has been a little difficult to get good screenshots recently as we're currently in the midst of a pathing overhaul and, consequently, player and enemy movement is a little wonky. The work being on the pathing system is to allow for dynamically generated obstacles to block pathing, such as randomized scenery and other things added to the world during run-time (as opposed to static objects built into the map). This can also be extended to enemies.

Of course, I hear the pathing the in Diablo3 is going to path in every way possible and not have any bugs... so, it looks like we lose there too! Damn...

Oh well, I'll try to get something up soon though. I've been working on new caster class skills, a new enemy, and also we've got some new caster armor.

Comment

Oh well, I'll try to get something up soon though. I've been working on new caster class skills, a new enemy, and also we've got some new caster armor.
                  A UI shot of the armor would be totally excellent.

Hell, even some info on the caster skills would make some of us squeal like a group of girls in a Motley Crue trailer!

Comment

So diablo 3 has fully randomized maps? OMGNOWAY! That gives me another reason not to buy it.
                    legendary fan

it is better to die for the emperor then to live for your self.

Comment

Originally posted by myrmidon View Post
                      So diablo 3 has fully randomized maps? OMGNOWAY! That gives me another reason not to buy it.
                      Nah, I think Floro is either misinformed or perhaps trying to get a reaction. From what I've read, it sounds like above-grounds will have pockets of randomized content in the middle but the boundaries, entrances, and exits will always be the same. I think we've come from two different ends of the spectrum between Diablo and TQ but both ended up in sort of a middle-ground with D3 and GD. Perhaps for different reasons though.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...=27805270394#4

Sounds like they're trying to make the maps more friendly for casual gamers with the linear undergrounds and what not.

Comment

I'm with Crate all the way, I hope you guys do very well with this game, I'd love to see a sequel with many of the features you'd of otherwise put in the game.

Of course, I will be playing Diablo 3 also.
                        _______
                        Legendary Fan & KickStart Supporter

Comment

Thanks for the support.

I will certainly be playing D3 as well. It could seriously delay the final release of Grim Dawn!

I think what we will try to do is release a limited alpha ahead of D3, if possible, so people can get a taste of what we're working on and then we can grind away finishing the game while everyone is engrossed in D3 and hopefully catch people on the other side with the full release when they're ready to try something new.

Comment

Oh, you guys just worry about making an awesome game. I know once I get a handle on Grim Dawn alpha, I'll provide as much feedback and bug reports as I possibly can, I'll try to make my writing sound complimentary, while digging into the meat of the game.

I feel that Diablo 3 will bring a large audience to the genre, and once you guys release Grim Dawn, you'll have something awesome to provide for all those new converts.

I want you guys to get a good gamer score because sadly that's how the new generations seem to work... so don't release if you don't have to.
                            _______
                            Legendary Fan & KickStart Supporter

Comment

Originally posted by Scryer View Post
                              I'll try to make my writing sound complimentary, while digging into the meat of the game.
                              For that, nothing works better than the industry-standard "compliment sandwich". It is simple enough to prepare, just layer scathing criticism between two slices of compliment. If the criticism filling is thick enough, sometimes by the time you're done feeding it to the person, they will have forgotten the initial compliment, in which case, you can reuse it and spare yourself the strain of trying to come up a new finishing compliment.

Originally posted by Scryer View Post
                              I feel that Diablo 3 will bring a large audience to the genre, and once you guys release Grim Dawn, you'll have something awesome to provide for all those new converts.

I want you guys to get a good gamer score because sadly that's how the new generations seem to work... so don't release if you don't have to.
                              That is what we are hoping for. So far as gamer score, I figure we'll do okay since the press has a total boner for indie development. Of course, by the time we release, the trend will probably have reversed and they'll hate indie development. That seems to be our luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X