Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, dont make the mistakes that TQ had

Hey all!
    Im a big fan of Titan Quest, and I will probably become one hell of a Grim Dawn fan too

Titan Quest had some really nice moments however, there was some stuff I really hated with the game and I really hope that Grim Dawn will have the same mistakes

First of all, some skills was just useless (not going in to this anymore than that since there is other threads about this issue.

Second, the most important one.

--POTIONS--

This was really braindead. Destroyed the RPG feeling.

OK - What RPG does not have Healthpotions? All of them, thats however not the issue, The issue was that there was no point not having them!

Players where walking around with 80 Potions and just holding the potion button and pretty much pressed the button whenever it was ready, there was no point at all to not hold the potion button, why? Well, lets just say that the price of potions was almost free.

This really takes away the true feeling of the game, you should HACK And SLASH, not HACK, Sluuurp And SLASH.

Why did TQ have it this way? The game was not balanced and got too easy.

----DONT REMOVE POTIONS----
    Of Course, there are solutions, and here is a possible one.

Make potions rare, you should not be able to buy them. If you balance the game from the view that you dont have

potions, the game will be alot more intense and more awarding.

Third Issue

--INFLATION?--

You mentioned that autopickup gold (or iron coins or whatever) will be included, thats really good, however, please

have a realistic perspective of gold, does a satyr really walk around with thousands of goldcoins? I dont think so, in fact, I feel that the most henchmen should not have any gold at all, the gold should be awarded from quests and chests.

Fourth Issue

Please-- Dont make another Dawn of War expansion that I dont like.
    (tabletop Dark Eldar player that thought that Dark Eldar should be a quick and fragile army)

Eurix

"What RPG does not have Healthpotions? All of them"

Err...I think it's the other way around. Almost every RPG I can think of has health potions...especially ARPG's. There's probably some that don't, but I'd imagine there are the minority.

With that said I agree with your point in general and that the game should be harder, using potions a last resort, and they should be less plentiful.

"Please-- Dont make another Dawn of War expansion that I dont like."

That really has nothing to do with Titan Quest or Grim Dawn.
    "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
      "Please-- Dont make another Dawn of War expansion that I dont like."

That really has nothing to do with Titan Quest or Grim Dawn.
      Iron Lore made an expansion for Dawn of War, perhaps he was referrring to that? Though it indeed has nothing to do with either TQ or GD, so your point still stands. The DoW thing just seems such an out of the blue comment...

Potions have been reformed. I'd suggest using the search function to find some info on what they did (you won't be spamming them anymore, according to med). Although, as Renevent stated, potions are very common in this genre - and something a lot of games have tried to improve upon.. it's not quite so easy as it sounds.

As for inflation, it's nice to see realistic amount of currency, but since we're dealing with salt as a payment, we have no point of reference as to what is a lot and what is a little.

Comment

I knew that, never played it myself but word on the street was lots of people didn't like it.

Maybe he's just angry at that expansion and venting
        "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
          I knew that, never played it myself but word on the street was lots of people didn't like it.

Maybe he's just angry at that expansion and venting
          Sorry man, but you don't make any sense.
          Now playing:

PC: Mount and Blade : Napoleonic Wars, League of Legends, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

PS3: ---

Waiting for: Grim Dawn, Warcraft 4.

Comment

Soulstorm was cool, a bit unbalanced but hey it was fun and the campaign was epic.

Comment

Originally posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
              Soulstorm was cool, a bit unbalanced but hey it was fun and the campaign was epic.
              Sisters of Battle are pretty good. I don't enjoy playing as Dark Eldar though. Overall my son and I have had fun with Soulstorm.

In any case, yeah, its not really pertinent to Grim Dawn.

Comment

Soul storm was the best expansion for dawn of war. Please make your own rts eventualy crate
                legendary fan

it is better to die for the emperor then to live for your self.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkenmal View Post
                  Sorry man, but you don't make any sense.
                  What didn't make sense? You let me know what you were unable to understand, and I'll do my best to explain it to you.
                  Last edited by Renevent; 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

To the OP, if you want to make TQ harder there are some very nice mods to do so. Underlord is a total revamp of the game and the difficulty is increased. Then you have the mod with new maps and difficulty you can set with Lilith. Both of these will increase your game play value tremendously.

Also, make sure you get the player patch (although it comes with the new version of Underlord).

As far as the potions comment I am a bit confused. What would you have then? What do you propose? Walking around like some demi-god never taking damage or running out of health until you die? Either option would make for a boring or frustrating game.

D3 proposes just running over/into these health orbs to heal up which I don't necessarily agree with either. However, I won't know how bad I will dislike it until I actually play D3.
                    Last edited by OneEyeRed; 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM.
                    Early adopter Legendary Contributor/Supporter.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb

Comment

If you spam potion to survive then my friend the game is too hard for you.

Patron key holder
                      Need a GrimDawn Avatar?!
                      http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834

Comment

Hi Eurix and welcome to the forum!

Health potions / healing will be very different in Grim Dawn. There are a couple threads where this is discussed if you search around. Potions are fairly rare / very expensive though and have a long cool-down time.

TQ was my first experience creating an ARPG skill system, so hopefully I can take some of the lessons I learned and do a little better this time. At least we expect we'll be around a lot longer after the game ships to release patches that address balance issues.

Just for the record, I didn't work on Soul Storm.

I was working with a couple of programmers and an artist to create the demo for Black Legion at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by yerkyerk View Post
                          As for inflation, it's nice to see realistic amount of currency, but since we're dealing with salt as a payment, we have no point of reference as to what is a lot and what is a little.
                          Does it matter what the currency is called? Salt/Gold/Credits/SoJ/Pork Scratchings will have the same issues vis-a-vis inflation regardless of what you want to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurix View Post
                            --POTIONS--
                            This really takes away the true feeling of the game, you should HACK And SLASH, not HACK, Sluuurp And SLASH.
                            I always thought that fighting drunk is a good thing

what bugs me is that you drink so much and your bladder doesn't explode....
                            yay I'm a speaker
                            ( how long will it be before I will become a motherbored.... ? )

Comment

Heeeeyyy.. there's an idea. Make the heroes drunk with a full bladder if they spam too much potions

Comment

Working...
                              X