X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooby View Post
    It's always the same thing: Designers try to bring in some sort of fashionable (and possibly fetish-inducing) gimmick that they believe does make the females look more sexy and female - but end up producing stuff that just doesn't fit the game world.
    Amen to that.

Seriously, IMO, if there was no thong for the Seraphim, I would never have finished Sacred2. Honestly, there is no valid explanation for it. Its not arousing or anything pervert, it is just more fun to take a hot female through a game than a dorky hulk-man. And I assume that said hot female could be well armored and "realistic" as long as she was hot and open to modding...
    Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hooby View Post
      Have you ever seen a woman wearing high heels trying to run - in order to catch a train or something like that?

No look at your GA picture again, and then think about how useful and stabilizing that heels are going to be. That woman - as badass as she may look - can easily be taken out by just a simple gully grate.
      O'rly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CQVvTg2oyo

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
      Well considering they are in the business of killing monsters, and not seducing them, I still really don't care for it. I think they should dress accordingly
      Brilliant! We need a monster seduction class like... yesterday!

I suggest "Demon Humper" to rival Diablo 3's "Demon Hunter."

And thus began the tale of how Grim Dawn was banned in Australia before hitting Alpha.
      Last edited by Void(null); 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM.
      After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
        Well considering they are in the business of killing monsters, and not seducing them, I still really don't care for it. I think they should dress accordingly
        This.

There's almost always some eye candy thrown into games in order to appeal to a largely male audience. That said, I prefer it to be limited so that it doesn't break the escapism/immersion of the game. I'd expect to see more skin in a game called "Zombies Vs. Bikini Babes" than one named "Grim Dawn."

TECHNOmancer
        "We already know Crate has talented people as well...do we need to pretend Blizzard has a bunch of monkeys sitting around slapping keyboards to appreciate what Crate is doing with Grim Dawn?" -- Renevent

"There seems to be a distinct lack of appreciation of what it takes to create something." -- Renevent

Comment

Originally posted by TECHNOmancer View Post
          There's almost always some eye candy thrown into games in order to appeal to a largely male audience.
          Fun fact:

40% of gamers are Female and they also happen to want their characters to look cool.

If a female character is not showing some skin with some form of customization for big boobs my wife wont touch that game.

I have had a hell of a time getting her to play Mass Effect because Female Shepard is not Feminine enough.
          Last edited by Void(null); 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Yes but one needs to dig deeper than just the number of gamers that are female, and look at the actual demographics for games themselves. I'm pretty sure gaming is still a largely male driven industry, especially games that are geared towards violence and stuff like that.

For instance, of the number of women who play consoles the vast majority play the Wii:

http://kotaku.com/5411707/nintendo-b...console-gamers

Easy to guess why...the games there are more friendly to that particular demographic.

Now, that's not to say that no girls play Gears/Diablo/ect, heck even Gears 3 will now have a female character in the lineup, but by in large I think these types of games are still primarily driven by the male demographic, and in my humble opinion throwing female warriors into thongs and metal bras is VERY much a male orientated thing to do lol!
            Last edited by Renevent; 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM.
            "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

Girl gamers have as deep and wide an interest in the same variety of games as we guys do.

Counter Strike, Gears of War, BlazeBlue and Halo have all had female Champions and even the World Cyber Games are currently being represented by a Female Gamer.

All I am saying is don't discount that audience, because it is there. We may not have as many girls playing Counterstrike as we do Galaxy but there is no reason that there shouldn't and couldn't be.

ARPG's (Loot 'em ups) are very female friendly. They feature customization, constant character progression and collection. My Wife loved Titan Quest, my sister inlaw was a Diablo addict and all of my Girl Gamer friends loved Torchlight. In its own way World of Warcraft feeds many of those same needs and has a huge female following.

Its a market that could easily be there for Grim Dawn.

Comment

It's not as deep and wide as you think, if you look even further at the statistics, most of these female 'hardcore gamers' are playing games like Mario, Wii games, Rockband, Facebook games, and other casual games. They may play them a lot (most studies said like 20 hours a week) and therefore can be considered 'hard core gamers', but let's be honest here the games 'we' consider hardcore and especially the violent ones are very much still driven by males.

Does that mean Crate should discount them or not consider them when designing Grim Dawn? Absolutely not, but then again I am not sure how throwing them in thongs and iron bikini's is serving that interest anyways...that sounds like something mostly for the boys lol!
                "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

Iron Bikini's no, but not making the female characters look like giant armor clad box's most certainly.

I'm more referring to global agenda than anything else man.

Comment

Yeah I agree with that, I think HG:L had some nice female armor designs...especially for the Templar class.

I mean yeah it does kinda have a iron bra thing going, but at the very least it looks like it was meant for protection and not just for looks hehe.

Granted they did have some pretty revealing stuff for the evoker/summoner female classes, but they looked more like chicks from hellraiser than sex symbols lol

Comment

Originally posted by gusseyGoose View Post
                      Firstly, Sorry If I ask this kind of question.

When I first see the Immortal Throne's DVD cover, I'm amazed and I thought there would be 'more-open' tunics available for girls (like you can see all her body shape, stomach, etc.), some variations to the face, and more stylish armors for the girls.

Just when I played it with one of my female char, its still the same. The Armor looks big over her shoulder (and it closes her stomach too ), and sometimes it makes her 'unfeminine' and shows a brutish aura over her. The only Armor I like for my female char in TQ is *Armor of Troy and use Ao-Chin Red Cap for the helm, which left me no choice to choose another armor, because they're not female, not feminine.

I just want to ask.. Do Grim Dawn will have the same fashional-taste for the females? or will make it truly different? plans or screenshots maybe? I rly want to see what a female looks like in Grim Dawn

*edited ones because the default ones.. not good
                      *alyssea pic - my female char
                      You know they websites for what you're looking for. It's okay to be picky, there's an estimated 300 million.

Comment

When playing games like TQ and Diablo i will always find myself going for the female character if possible. I find myself often prefering to play games with a character whos gender is the same as my own should there be the option and when it comes to armour selection while I don't mind a bit of skin, I dislike skimpy outfits. I mean come on, what kind of practicle use would an 'iron bra' have in the battle field? Especialy when compaired to that of a fitted chestplate.

When it comes to armor on my characters I will always go for the defensive capabilities over looks, but if theres a piece of armour of a similar rating i'll honestly go for the one that looks cooler.
                        Stylish yet practicle.
                        High Priestess of The Cult of Crate

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
                        I play for grass of course!

Comment

I read in the FAQ that the game is " loosely inspired by the Victorian Era.."
                          I'd be more interested in 'armor' that appeals to that sort of sensibility, at least to some extent rather than armor that would make the character to have a mechanical appearance, fi that makes sense?

Clothing does not have to be manish to be serviceable and some feminine 'garnish' to garments and/or more form fitting clothing wouldn't be a bad thing, but as a woman I seriously snicker when I see scantily clad toons with bouncey perky no no bits running around on high heels. In games like these I always wondered why there weren't Manicure/Pedicure/Hair Stylist NPC's who could offer some waxing for a fee.

And before anyone asks, no, I dont' think there is any female gamer who would appreciate seeing a male warrior toon dressed in a banana yellow man thong running around in boots and looking like Fabio. Oh god, I think I just vomitted in my mouth.

Comment

no thongs. no female wearing thongs. not in this awesome game.

example female rogue-type armor.
                            Playing TQ since 2006
                            Currently Playing TQIT Char: Alyssea lvl 51 Assasin, Gusserus lvl 46 Templar, Tarasynora lvl 18 Avenger.

Computer Specs: Intel Core i5-3610 | Nvidia Geforce 630M 2 GB | RAM 4 GB | 640 GB HDD

Comment

I personally don't mind female warriors showing some skin, but I certainly don't want them looking like prostitutes either (like they did in Sacred 1 & 2).
                              Nor do I want them so armored up that they look like men. There needs to be a balance that portrays sexy & bad-ass. I thought HG:L did that very well, as Renevent demonstrated with his pic.

Also....
                              You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about female armor being too revealing as being "unrealistic", but at the same time not saying anything about these dainty women wielding huge swords, rocket launchers, or whatever heavy weaponry. That is unrealistic also.

I say, bring a nice balance.
                              Don't portray the women as slutty, but don't over-dress them either so that they end up passing as male (don't notice their feminine traits).

Thats my opinion anyway.
                              Last edited by shawnmck; 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

to be Devil's Advocate there was a graphical armour set in Sacred 2 that was totally OMG EMPEROR type Wh40K type stuff. So much fun.

I'll see if I can find it.. Here we go.
                                It may also be surprising to know that some players prefer different play-styles.
                                It is not censorship, it is called Whack a mole.
                                I guess it only makes sense for Ghosts'n Goblins to go online. I mean, online is the current realm of people running around in their underwear, and Ghosts'n Goblins pretty much invented running around in your underwear.

Comment

Working...
                                X