Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (M)ature or (T)een?

hopefully this game gets a (T)een rating
    so my 9 year old cousin will be old enough to play it next year
    Last edited by commando450; 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM.

Not so loud man, I can hear you just fine.

Comment

Uhm..no - rejected!

Didn't you get the memo, it's GRIM Dawn, with EXPLODING GIBS and DECAPITATIONS and ZOMBIES.

Comment

Originally posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
        Uhm..no - rejected!

Didn't you get the memo, it's GRIM Dawn, with EXPLODING GIBS and DECAPITATIONS and ZOMBIES.
        ^

who pays attention to ratings?
        legendary fan

it is better to die for the emperor then to live for your self.

Comment

Some parents pay attention. If you give a kid an M-rated game... you better be prepared to be yelled at.
          Proud Member of the Patriotic Grim Dawn Criticism Club

Comment

As long as kids are educated and know the difference between "real" and "pretend", I don't really see an issue. I've been playing games with lots of "virtual blood and gore" since the genesis/turbographx-16 days and I never got into any trouble growing up. It's a hot topic on occasion by many non-gamers looking to start a fight though.

Like just about everything else, parenting is about being involved and being there to guide and assist your child. I say this as a parent myself.

I don't think Crate will worry too much about what rating category their game falls into. I certainly hope we get their complete vision and not some watered down media friendly one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kardiophylax View Post
              As long as kids are educated and know the difference between "real" and "pretend", I don't really see an issue. I've been playing games with lots of "virtual blood and gore" since the genesis/turbographx-16 days and I never got into any trouble growing up. It's a hot topic on occasion by many non-gamers looking to start a fight though.

Like just about everything else, parenting is about being involved and being there to guide and assist your child. I say this as a parent myself.

I don't think Crate will worry too much about what rating category their game falls into. I certainly hope we get their complete vision and not some watered down media friendly one anyway.
              Nooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Now you've gone and done it. Just by making a comment like that you've opened the floodgate for discussion!
              *Prepares for the worst aquiring fire exstinguishers and full riot gear*

Anyway...

As far as ratings go Grim Dawn it's definately an M-Rated game. Bring on the blood and gore!
              High Priestess of The Cult of Crate

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
              I play for grass of course!

Comment

It is hard to say what the rating might be since people seem to have strangely varying ideas of what material is most sensitive. My guess is that it will probably be mature but it may not be as people tend to be less sensitive about violence than sexual content. TQ actually originally hit store shelves with a mature rating due to sexual content... What sexual content? I guess they thought the nymph nature pet was too scantily clad even though there are no nipples or anything showing and she's 4 centimeters tall on-screen. Sadly, in the puritanical U.S., sex seems to be far more offensive to people than violence.

My personal take, which I guess is largely irrelevant as far as actual ratings go, is that it is the context that matters most. When I was young, conflict in games tended to be very clear. You were always a good character fighting evil and that is what most kids wanted to be. Now we live in a morally murky world of anti-heroes and likable villains. As an adult, I think that can add interest to the story of a game or movie. The world seems to have become too cynical for the type of simplistic conflicts that existed in games and movies of decades past. However, I have to wonder what effect this has on children.

I could probably write a dissertation on this subject but my point is simply that parents should probably worry less about gibs and more about the context of violence. I mean, what is worse? Exploding a zombie into an exaggerated shower of fleshy bits or driving over pedestrians / beating up innocent people even if there is no blood?

I don't think semi-abstract violence against hordes of evil monsters in a "loot em up" should warrant the same rating for violence as the more realistic violence against innocent people that is possible in some first-person or over-the-shoulder third-person games with real-world settings.

Comment

Kids grow up one day. Later they will be happy with it.

Core hack & slash (ex-TQ) fan base prefer Mature, 18+ rate. It's the pure truth.
                  Official Legendary Grim Dawn Contributor (Diablo III KiLLeR )King among RPGZ! Chop it !

Gold Reward:

Silver Reward:

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                    It is hard to say what the rating might be since people seem to have strangely varying ideas of what material is most sensitive.
                    I hope it has an M rating. Little gibs flying through the air! Crippled zombies exploding on impact! YES! YES! DEAD BODIES FLOATING ON WAVES OF BLOOD AND GORE!

Comment

Well i have to be rude.

i dont care about reting, im 36 years young ;-) and i want BLOOD, tits, gore, bad language, and so on and so on. thats what make games fun for me.

pluds a good game play, storry, and midGFX will be fine, so i ont have to go buy new pc evrytime new game comes out.

so for my sake, make it bloody and bad, make it so that we old gamers from comedore 64 time will have a kick......

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............

anyway, still looking forward to play alfa :-)
                      legendary fan
                      10-May-2010 12:22:54 PM

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                        TQ actually originally hit store shelves with a mature rating due to sexual content... What sexual content?
                        Those maenads could fall in dastardly seductive positions with the ragdoll physics
                        I thought it had to do with the statues? Anyway, it's a weird rating for TQ. No gore or blood and than get M-rated because of er... I don't even know.

I grew up playing Carmageddon (which was quite strange, as I wasn't allowed to watch Power Rangers due to it causing aggressive behaviour according to a newspaper article) and though stuff as "hit that pedestrian for a piledriver bonus!" have been a running gag ever since in the life of me and my bother, neither of us have ever remotely felt the desire to run over people due to that game (perhaps due to other reasons though ).

As such, I don't think rating games (M)ature because of sexuality is bad in America, because that's the actual stuff you're seeing. But as long as a kid can differentiate between real and virtual violence, I can't even begin to see a problem with the level of gore (horror again is another thing). Ofcourse, some kids might react violently to pc games, but that's no reason to throw everything overboard.

Comment

Originally posted by yerkyerk View Post
                          as long as a kid can differentiate between real and virtual violence
                          i dono man... my cousin IS pretty stupid

he tried to throw a burning match into a full gas can once

Comment

Originally posted by commando450 View Post
                            i dono man... my cousin IS pretty stupid

he tried to throw a burning match into a full gas can once

You should probably consider monitoring what he does so he won't attempt any more stupid ideas.

Tell his parents to watch him better too, a nine year old shouldn't be doing things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ASYLUM101 View Post

You should probably consider monitoring what he does so he won't attempt any more stupid ideas.

Tell his parents to watch him better too, a nine year old shouldn't be doing things like that.
                              My Dad doused a firework in gasoline when it fail to go off properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X