X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: Modder Assisted Development.

You guys know people are gonna make new textures and the like for GrimDawn just like they did Titanquest.

So here is the question.
    Why not put out mesh/textures for us to grab and start working on, Retextures is easy as pie and can add what appear to be completely new items/creatures to the game.

Of course for legal reasons you would need a document that defines such things as it has to be the persons own work, orginal and created only for GrimDawn.

It would work great with things such as.
    Barrals that you want slightly randomised.
    Unique textures for a Unique item.
    Skeletons so you have mutiple textures so a horde of them dont look the same.

I think it could really add alot of content and it shouldnt be all that hard to set up a system to do it.
    Im thinking a zip uploaded to a central server.
    the Zip contains a TXT laid out in a specific format for parsing that includes the persons name.. the item retextured etc. + the texture.

Grimdawn+modded content together on release=WIN for the developers and Win for the customers.

As cool as this idea is, I don't think they'll do it for obvious reasons.

Comment

I like that idea. I really like it alot. However I dont think this will happen.
      There are too many risks involved.
      "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
      - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Comment

Well, I thought of that too, so lets hear Crate on the possibilities of any help, whether it be small textures and the like or any other help.

Perhaps later some smaller contests for alpha/beta/full participants, where the prize is that your stuff get's in an expansion and a honorable mention in the (competition) forums?
        Legendary Fan Edition Owner.
        1st game Alpha and Beta access
        I'm Grim Dawn - And I'm Proud of It

Comment

Of course everyone here would love to help.^^
          If Crate says that we can help...ofc we would.
          Like making small quests with the new editors?
          "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
          - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Comment

Nice idea in theory, legal and logistical nightmare in practice. =/

Comment

Originally posted by Rhis View Post
              Nice idea in theory, legal and logistical nightmare in practice. =/
              Yeah, releasing unfinished material that hasn't been sold yet unless you only release to certain members who have legendary/epic accounts, which might not stop them from releasing said material elsewhere.

Nice idea, just not worth the risks.

If it was a public mod, maybe it would work nicely. Otherwise...

Comment

Not to mention that even disregarding the legal issues the devs would have to sift through all the textures submitted by us and decide what they want to use where and so forth...Would be really great if it could work though
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/klo0ga

Comment

Its not nightmare at all.

If its limited to just textures its extremly hard for someone to go rip off other work and then adapt to to a texture UV.

3d modeling sites sell models/textures and not yet has a single one been sued because some little so and so uploaded content and sold it that wasnt there own.

The Logistics of it just a server a zip file, a txt format parse file and texture and a viwer for quickly going over uploaded content.

The TXT file contains the mesh/path for you guys for the editor to read, the texture path/name of the new texture. The persons real name and a short discription of what the person was attempting and as they upload it add the IP of the uploader.
                  You just have a Mesh Viewer that reads the txt displays the mesh/texture and lets you decide if its useable or delete.
                  If kept it uploads the persons Name to a credit file for use in the game credits.

If its limited to people who have preordered in the event someone does use copyright material you guys can just point the copyright holder along to culprit. That person is guilty of fraud and you took reasonble steps to detect it, and were duped yourself. No one can claim for example that Skeleton retexture number 6 that had a coca cola emblem on its head reduced to 12 pixals in anyway actually increased your profits by detectable ammount. Removing it also with a patch isnt going to cause you guys problems.

Because its Digital distrubution, its little risk.

If it was hard copies - Discs, and you would have to do a recall if the company/person was really angsty about whatever it was.

Comment

Some sort of open contribution and release of tools would be impossible to manage.

In the past though I did also consider talking to one or two of the top modders from TQ to see if we could get some help with level / quest work. However, right now I just don't think I have time to manage even one more person in a collaborative effort. Any additional design help we bring on would be a trade-off of my time from design work to management. Then there is the potential for interpersonal issues, trying to figure out some sort of fair compensation, and all kinds of other things that could go wrong.

Right now the best course is to just keep pushing forward and not complicate things in any way that could create distraction.

Comment

There would be no fair compensation, as it would all be done for free, besides credits in the final game many people wouldnt want anything, and the terms would be once submited the work becomes your property.

I beleive if the system was set up right that it would require almost no administration.
                      You wouldnt be dealing with people directly, only viewing there work and deciding if it meets the requirements for the game.

Lets for example
                      Say you have a Skeleton and a Skeleton texture and you like some more versions of but which you cant yourselves spend anymore manhours on because there are more important things.

You upload it to the database in say OBJ so almost every single modeling program can open it. It includes the model texture and TXT file that explains what you would like.

Call it Skeleton_01.zip
                      People get it edit the texture and TXT file reupload it where its prefixed with that persons name.
                      Example Phoynix_Skeleton_01.zip

You get up in the morning and log on for say 10 mins and simply review them, this is where there would be a bit of development, to change the TQ model viewer to open up the zip, and make both the model/txt file viewable.

You can then decline/accept it.
                      Where its moved to be used or deleted.

It takes the persons model/texture/name and adds it to a credit file or a declined file.. that everyone can view so they know if there work was accepted or declined.

The only time consuming part would be changing a tool, so it doesnt just view but also renames and moves and setting up a database for access to forum members.

X3 used fan made textures models and scripts in the Expansion X3 reunion, they also released extra content packs containing fan made content.

So even just releasing some models/textures for us to fiddle around with come release fans could have already made some mod content.

Worst cast situation someone takes your lets again say Skeleton model and uses it in there own game.. well he/she is just an a-hole, but if they are going to do it they will do it, hell they will have even pirated the game.
                      Last edited by Phoynix; 07-29-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoynix View Post

I beleive if the system was set up right that it would require almost no administration.
                        You wouldnt be dealing with people directly, only viewing there work and deciding if it meets the requirements for the game...

...You get up in the morning and log on for say 10 mins and simply review them, this is where there would be a bit of development, to change the TQ model viewer to open up the zip, and make both the model/txt file viewable.

You can then decline/accept it.
                        Where its moved to be used or deleted.
                        The problem Medierra stated in his post still stands. There is still time they have to devote to looking through textures. Not to mention that not dealing with people at all would basically mean anarchy. With no direction, the people developing textures won't know what Medierra wants and Medierra has to waste time knocking it back and telling them what changes need to be made, or make them themselves. Either that or use their time writing some sort of brief for people.
                        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/klo0ga

Comment

the worst part would be having to turn down people's hard work when it's not up to snuff. :P

Comment

We don't really need help creating texture variations and it is hard to think of many other tasks in development that are as simple and self-contained. Those that are, generally are easy for us to do and don't take much time.

The time we we would spend writing descriptions of what we wanted, posting assets, and then reviewing submissions is probably greater than the time it would take to just make a texture variations ourselves. There is also a risk that time spent on this would yield no satisfactory results, in which case we'd have spent more time than if we'd just done it ourselves to begin with.

Most development tasks either require a high level of expertise in modeling, animating or programming, and / or they involve large, complex, interdependent systems that a person couldn't just work on by themselves without oversight and have any hope of making something we could actually use in the game.

I've talked about this before and there really isn't a viable way to make this work. I don't want to spend a lot of additional time explaining why. I mean shit, I could have made a skeleton texture variation in the time it took to write this!

I do really appreciate the intentions here though.

P.S. Betrayer is also right in that it would be tough telling people this submissions didn't cut it and I'm sure that would just generate a lot of hurt feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                              I mean shit, I could have made a skeleton texture variation in the time it took to write this!
                              lol, that's easy. How about a flesh hulk skin variation?

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                              P.S. Betrayer is also right in that it would be tough telling people this submissions didn't cut it and I'm sure that would just generate a lot of hurt feelings.
                              This is one of the things some of my pals hate about blizzard. They have huge contests and drawing things, and they NEVER win, they don't even show up in the roster of the THOUSANDS of submissions they put on the site. (seriously, THOUSANDS) And my buddies aren't talentless turds, one guy is actually a pretty talented modeller/texture artist who has remade huge SC scenes... yet blizzard only accepts WC anime drawings...

Comment

Working...
                              X