X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we "Jump?"

Can we "jump" in Grim Dawn? I hope sometimes I can jump so high in this game to avoid attack or just for fun. Just an idea for discussion.

Probably not...and I don't think jump would add much to the game. However, maybe a key to do some barrel rolls would be cool lol.
    "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

if there is a jump feature I wouldn't want it to provide any sort of advantage. The only reason I would want a jump option would be to jump over a short fence or rock wall. Recently on TQ I slashed my way through the battlegrounds outside Athens and it was a bit annoying to have to run all the way around a rock and fence barrier just to kill some boars on the other side.

Comment

Yeah...that rock wall is like knee high too lol. I don't think jumping has a place in these types of games though...and certainly giving the player the ability to jump would add a whole lot of work making sure they can't get stuck or get to places they aren't supposed to be.
        "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

In all honesty, a whole new branch of ARPGs could be opened up with the addition of a proper jump. It would allow the designers to throw in platform sequences and environmental hazards. Also, as mentioned, level design would require more thought due to the ability to get to unexpected places and the flow of travel/pacing changing. You really would have to design the game from the start with jumping in mind.

The best jump I've seen in an ARPG was D2's Barbarian Leap. Still, the 2D engine of the game made the absurdities of jumping through ceilings and jailbars seem less ridiculous. Those hiccups would be less forgiven in a 3D environment where it simply looks like clipping issues.

I agree, jumping would be fun, but I don't see the GD team having the resources to implement a GOOD jumping mechanic.
          PureKnickers

Comment

Originally posted by Renevent View Post
            Probably not...and I don't think jump would add much to the game. However, maybe a key to do some barrel rolls would be cool lol.
            agree, barrel rolls is also so cool !

Comment

Altough I'm against anykind of jumping (or any other useless action) that occurs from the player pressing the jump-button (just play a few mmo's and you'll see how annoying it gets when people jump around all the time, it would make multiplayer games very annoying if there were people who just couldn't stop jumping all the time), but I'm all for the kind of jumping where running against a small wall in a steep enough angle would automatically trigger a jump-over action being performed. The game might as well have an "action" button (space is a fine choice) that triggered this kind of special actions if autoing them would make accidental triggering a problem (either by just pressing or by keeping it down before going near the object that triggers it, making using it smooth).

Comment

Man, let me tell you, there were some dudes on the team at ILE that REALLY wanted to get jump into the game. Being the evil designer that I am though, I just didn't really see any role for it in the game at that time. For good or bad, I still don't really see a role for it in Grim Dawn.

I think if we really wanted to add in a whole new level of environmental interaction and put some real effort into it, it could be cool. However, we're on a limited budget, working on a first release, and I think that sort of thing would be too much of a distraction from the core gameplay given the situation.

In trying to craft a world more gameplay spaces that are defined by more than just endless cliffs, we do occasionally make questionable use of knee-high walls. I think the solution though is to keep those boundaries in tact but create art that is more suitable as such. Our fieldstone walls in GD are about player height, and 2-3 times thicker than those in TQ, so they feel like much more legitimate boundaries.

Comment

Jumping could be an interesting active skill (ala D2 Leap), but as a requirement to continue through the game, nah. It doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather do without such useless micromanagement. Knee-height barriers do feel weird though.

For some reason in games where you're close to the player, I feel jumping is necessary. In the Witcher, you can't jump and it really feels like the game's lacking there. Not as much for top-down aRPG's though..

Comment

Have to agree, while having a jump is nice I really cant see much room in it in an ARPG other than perhaps some platform sections... and those in a topdown game would just be annoying.
                    After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

Comment

i would like jumping as an optical effect(like used at a spell), but jumping over walls would not fit the genre. But would be nice to jump to enemies and slash em to pieces. The cahrge spells always where a bit unrealistic to me

Comment

Originally posted by yerkyerk View Post
                        Jumping could be an interesting active skill (ala D2 Leap), but as a requirement to continue through the game, nah. It doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather do without such useless micromanagement. Knee-height barriers do feel weird though.

For some reason in games where you're close to the player, I feel jumping is necessary. In the Witcher, you can't jump and it really feels like the game's lacking there. Not as much for top-down aRPG's though..
                        Ha, still drives me nuts when I go back to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark and can't jump. The low angles really emphasize the 3D environment, so the need to explore that Z axis seems that much more important. I guess the isometric view is still 2D at heart, so that urge to jump isn't there. Actually, in Grand Theft Auto 2, you could jump and often it was difficult to tell what you should be able to jump over without the proper 3D.
                        PureKnickers

Comment

When it comes to the type of gameplay in an ARPG, I really like to use my skills that I've invested into, having jump be a type of skill would work, at least then I wouldn't have to reach all the way down to the space bar in the middle of a combat situation.
                          _______
                          Legendary Fan & KickStart Supporter

Comment

Man, I would LOVE a skill that could provide some creative map movement. Screw for combat, just let me get over obstacles and stuff.
                            It may also be surprising to know that some players prefer different play-styles.
                            It is not censorship, it is called Whack a mole.
                            I guess it only makes sense for Ghosts'n Goblins to go online. I mean, online is the current realm of people running around in their underwear, and Ghosts'n Goblins pretty much invented running around in your underwear.

Comment

Yes, climbing over a small wall, some rubble, walk through water (mind not to swim in armour) or jumping over a low hedgerow would all be nice and add to the immersion. But if I have to weigh it against more content, then I go for the latter.

Comment

Working...
                              X