X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Renevent View Post
    "WSAD Dodge Commands now that would be something it could benefit from, infact i think this
    should be a standard for all ARPG's "

Not a bad idea...
    This feature was present in the witcher 1 where u could play in asymetric view and use mouse point and click to move and attack and double tap wasd to dodge... install and try it, see what u think....

PS personally I like the fact that I can control the game with one hand..... maybe I justin lazy in my old age
    Last edited by sunandsteel71; 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM.
    Hard core all the way baby
    Showing some support.Now the grim owner of -
    5X Digital 2 X Pioneer 3X Patron 2X Loyalist Support Packs

It was an April morning when they told us we should go,
    As I turn to you, you smiled at me
    How could we say no?
    With all the fun to have, to live the dreams we always had,
    Oh, the songs to sing, when we at last return again.

Comment

• Originally posted by patlefort View Post
      There is a weird stigma for arpg for point and click movement.
      Yes, a stigma indeed, which explains why it has endured so much and so many people enjoy it.

Originally posted by patlefort View Post
      I understand some people are used to it since Diablo and probably haven't played too many other games.
      Actually I used to play 1st and 3rd person shooters/RPGs exclusively and I had a lot of prejudice against top down point and click before giving Torchlight a try in 2012. Never played Diablo or any other top down games before.

I have always viewed point and click movement to be the intuitive way to navigate that's meant for casuals.
      Point and click simply make this harder. It seems that arpg players just want to do that.
      Makes it harder... for casuals?

Comment

• I've played various argps which included both WASD as well as click and point movement control and in my view the wasd makes combat far too easy and removes almost any of the challenge of the game for both melee and ranged, but especially playing a ranged char.

For example with click to move, when you want to kite round a mob you have to move your cursor, click to move then move the cursor back to the mob to attack. While with wasd all you do is simply keep your cursor on the mob attacking whilst running in circles around them with wasd.

To include wasd you need to rethink the entire combat as it makes life far too easy otherwise.

Having used wasd I really don't like or agree with wasd in argps.

Edit...
        I understand some people are used to it since Diablo and probably haven't played too many other games.

Not being able to use keyboard movement while aiming and using skills is not a valid argument, since me and many people can do it.

I have always viewed point and click movement to be the intuitive way to navigate that's meant for casuals. Like browsing a web page, like playing a puzzle game, not for playing an action game.

Forcing me to it is almost insulting, it's like the devs think we're too dumb to do it. It is simply forcing an handicap.
        Maybe it's just me getting old, but is there any need to demean and insult people by suggesting that everyone who doesn't agree with your view is an inferior casual player incapable of playing and that the devs think everyone here is dumb.

Please leave feedback and views, but politely without belittling anyone.
        Last edited by Jaknet; 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM. Reason: added edit

Comment

• I am not insulting anyone, it is just the way I feel. It is impossible to do feedback on this without stating skills and I know some people are going to feel like this. Just like you said, it make the game easier. However, difficulty by handicapping the controls is never a good design choice. A game is supposed to be difficult by making encounters challenging. It is obviously not the reason keyboard movement is not implemented.

The fervor against keyboard movement is way overblown, like there is a fear of it. I'm obviously wasting my time here. The gap in the market for a arpg with keyboard movement is still wide open.

Comment

• I do not want WASD movement, never liked it. Leave it to 3D games, where it belongs (and maybe consoles with their joypad), we have a mouse and the controls should reflect that - point and click.

I already need my other hand for the skill keys.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamba View Post
              I do not want WASD movement, never liked it. Leave it to 3D games, where it belongs (and maybe consoles with their joypad), we have a mouse and the controls should reflect that - point and click.

I already need my other hand for the skill keys.
              Why did they stop making joysticks for computers? They are useful for more than flight games.

Two buttons each on the side for your fingers and three for your thumb would be more than enough for even mmo rpg skill sets. And you could keep the mouse for controlling where you look.

Comment

• Originally posted by patlefort View Post
                However, difficulty by handicapping the controls is never a good design choice. A game is supposed to be difficult by making encounters challenging. It is obviously not the reason keyboard movement is not implemented.
                There is no handicapping of the controls by not adding wasd. The entire game is designed around not having wasd and the challenge is based on that fact.

The fervor against keyboard movement is way overblown, like there is a fear of it.
                There is no fear against wasd as you seem to think, it's basically a case of people here enjoy playing and controlling this type of game without wasd and do not see any need to have change their entire control system (which works perfectly) just to suit the choice of one person.

I'm obviously wasting my time here. The gap in the market for a arpg with keyboard movement is still wide open.
                Go play Van Helsing then, it has wasd and click and point, Mythos used to have wasd as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keysmash View Post
                  Why did they stop making joysticks for computers? They are useful for more than flight games.
                  not sure, demand ? probably not though

at the very least you could get an xbox controller instead of a joystick - but then I always need both hands for the controller and cannot also get to the number keys at the same time (same for a joystick), so not sure that is the solution either

Two buttons each on the side for your fingers and three for your thumb would be more than enough for even mmo rpg skill sets. And you could keep the mouse for controlling where you look.
                  just leave it as it is, I find WASD in iso view wrong, the last one I played with it was Bastion, and as always I never continue far with WASD iso games (the whole Bastion control scheme just did not work well for me, mouse or not)

Comment

• Originally posted by mamba View Post
                    not sure, demand ? probably not though

at the very least you could get an xbox controller instead of a joystick - but then I always need both hands for the controller and cannot also get to the number keys at the same time (same for a joystick), so not sure that is the solution either

just leave it as it is, I find WASD in iso view wrong, the last one I played with it was Bastion, and as always I never continue far with WASD iso games (the whole Bastion control scheme just did not work well for me, mouse or not)

I don't mean for this game so much. But even using my controller on other games I feel a joystick like I brought up would pair nicely with my 20 button mouse . It would have the quickness of mouse view control over the controller, and have better button reach ability than wasd while moving.

Comment

Working...
                    X