X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading

Since we're going to have guns, I was wondering if there's going to be a 'reload' button.
    I think it's perhaps a bit strange to have a 'reload' button in these types of games, but any game I've played with guns which do not have a reload button just feel weird. I kept playing the 'r' button through the entire game (e.g. Mass Effect).
    Choosing where and when to reload is a tactical decision, makes the games more fun to me. Still, I'm not entirely sure if it fits in this type of game - but it definetely worked out well for the Alien Shooter games, which are in a somewhat similar genre (isometric hack'n slash with RPG elements).

It'd also help set guns apart from bows and magic staffs (if there are any, that is).

Thoughts?

Gun reload huh? Hmm.. I'm not sure if we need those reload button.. Let's me think..

If you mention reload, so most probably there must be ammo rounds too. And it's not entirely necessary to have ammo (carried) even though there are rounds. And reload time. Huh i don't know.

Ahh..it's hard! It's not i don't think it's gonna working, but it's gonna be real hard for dev to balance gun with other weapon type. If balancing is bad, it could probably make either gun or the other weapon type become less useful or even useless.

Just my thought. But if this mechanic gonna be implemented, it's gonna be very experimental.

Comment

Assuming they're old guns, i would assume most of them wouldn't be able to hold a large cartridge to begin with, but still i see where your going with this. It would be nice to reload instead of reloading mid-fight.

Comment

On second thought, i think it might be working.

I don't use much gun in Torchlight. It doesn't have reload button. How was it feel to reload? Or did it doesn't have cartridge? Just shoot em all?

Comment

I think there is no reloading at all, there is just a slight pause between each shot. "Magical" reloading perhaps? I don't know.

Comment

Well, since the events in Grim Dawn takes place in a fictional universe they could have cartridges on old guns
            It'd also give another interesting modifier; do you take cartridges/guns with lots of ammo space, fast reload, more damage, etc..

I'm still for infinite ammo though.

Comment

The toon should reload automatically - once you shot all rounds of your e.g. revolver, there is a little break before you can continue. If you stop shooting, before you are required to reload, then your toon will also reload ... but will require less time. Sounds similar to overheating, doesn't it?

Then there can be a skill to reload quicker.

Comment

Overheating works just a bit different actually - that doesn't require reloading but prevents people from shooting for too long.

When the gun's empty, reload should happen automatically.
                Still, if there's going to be a reload function, it should also be doable manually so you don't have to empty half a cartridge on air before you move on to the next mob.

Comment

Originally posted by yerkyerk View Post
                  Overheating works just a bit different actually - that doesn't require reloading but prevents people from shooting for too long.
                  Well, I think it has the same effect. You can fire all rounds. The toon starts to reload ... 1 round ... another ... a 3rd ... you need to fire again: reloading is interrupted and rounds are spent again. Makes it a charge skill, which is excuted, when not fighting - onslaught reversed.

Still, if there's going to be a reload function, it should also be doable manually so you don't have to empty half a cartridge on air before you move on to the next mob.
                  That's what I meant.

Comment

Reloading guns sounds funny, but I think this would interfere with the core mechanic of the game. Beside attack speed and other stats, you would need to manually press a reload button to get the weapons working, sounds like a huge disadvantage for the future gunslingers.
                    I donīt have clue either, but this just sounds crazy to me.

Comment

I like the idea of auto reload during a lull in combat, but what if all guns are single shot with no magazine capacity? The character has to load each round like it was a xbow, and this is effected by various skills that you can level up.
                      Don't know enough about the game design yet to how fire arms will be handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaets View Post
                        you would need to manually press a reload button to get the weapons working
                        Reloading should work without the need to press any button.
                        Originally posted by The Old Farmer View Post
                        but what if all guns are single shot with no magazine capacity?
                        In this case they have just a moderate cooldown.

Comment

Since we're going to have guns, I was wondering if there's going to be a 'reload' button.
                          I think it's perhaps a bit strange to have a 'reload' button in these types of games, but any game I've played with guns which do not have a reload button just feel weird. I kept playing the 'r' button through the entire game (e.g. Mass Effect).
                          Choosing where and when to reload is a tactical decision, makes the games more fun to me. Still, I'm not entirely sure if it fits in this type of game - but it definetely worked out well for the Alien Shooter games, which are in a somewhat similar genre (isometric hack'n slash with RPG elements).

It'd also help set guns apart from bows and magic staffs (if there are any, that is).

Thoughts?
                          Only if guns are too powerful and really useful, then ok, like a balance/compensation point. But other way I donīt like that idea as I donīt like having a limited number of munition or arrows.
                          Last edited by Skorpion_King; 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Only if guns are too powerful and really useful, then ok, like a balance/compensation point. But other way I donīt like that idea as I donīt like having a limited number of munition or arrows.
                            No, unlimited ammo (nobody wants to hassle with limited ammo I think) - but a certain clipsize.

The size of the clip can be either given in the gun or in an ammunition modifier (an infinte clip with its own affixes).

Comment

I see it more as a characteristic of certain guns. Early guns and late-game, supra-guns should require reloading but also in game will be found other species of guns that do not need to be reloaded. Maybe even certain guns can overheat? Hope they keep the W-key as weapon switch...
                              Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X