Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialogues

A few wishes how the story of GD will be presented:

#1 TQ does not have any dialogues - monologues only. I'd like to read a few lines of what our hero/ine is thinking. Some gamers seem to appreciate, if their main character has a generic/empty character. I'd prefer that the toon I play expresses its own opinion about things going on.

This way there will not be any walls of text any more, which will make the whole thing more readable/enjoyable.

#2 Make 2 versions of the text - a male and a female version, so that the heroine is not always mistaken for a guy.

#3 I enjoy comic books and would like to see speech ballons instead of text boxes. Vagrant Story is a good example:

I've seen a nice number of gamers complaining when the main character already has a personality. They argue that because of that, they cannot get "sucked into the game" (God I hate my limited English vocabulary) and the game feels synthetic.

I have no opinion on this matter tho, both works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by eisprinzessin View Post
      I'd like to read a few lines of what our hero/ine is thinking.
      But the hero is you, so you know what the hero is thinking without dialogues, because you know what you are thinking... that's only my point of view.
      Because I donīt like long dialogues, I like action! but of course a bit of introduction would be nice, a small dialogue to introduce the plot and the characters, but i would like not a lot af question-answer, question-answer, question-answer, .. But of course I am not against dialogues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3us View Post
        I've seen a nice number of gamers complaining when the main character already has a personality. They argue that because of that, they cannot get "sucked into the game" [...] and the game feels synthetic.
        I for myself can only empathise with the character, if there is a personality. Well, some types will not work well and each of us has different preferences, but I think there are several archetypes many people find attractive.

If GD will have many matured NPCs, then the hero's personality will not be too obtrusive. Much depends on how much the hero is involved in the story, or if he is more or less a "meddlesome" stranger like in TQ.

I read that many people never identify with any sort of main character, but with the sidekick, the villain, etc.

Comment

Seeing dialogues would be quite interesting. I never like empty characters, they have the appeal of a sack of potatoes.

The character in these games is never a blank sheet; he always helps out people and drives back the demons. Would be nice if there was some personality behind that as well.

What would be even more kick-arse was if the personality was linked to your first mastery; but that certainly is a far cry from reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Skorpion_King View Post
            I donīt like long dialogues, I like action!
            There can be action in dialogues, too. In TQ I do not listen to all the stuff, people are telling. However, I find that the people of act 4 are better story tellers. Can the two of us agree on that dialogues need to be short, sharp and sexy?

Comment

Dialogues simply need to be skippable and non-essential for the game progress..
              I'd still love to see them though.

Comment

Originally posted by yerkyerk View Post
                Dialogues simply need to be skippable and non-essential for the game progress..
                I'd still love to see them though.
                On page 503 of the GrimDawn Options interface, there should be a checkbox that permits players to skip all dialogs.
                Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Comment

Whatever happened to the 'click anywhere' else option?

Heh, it could work just like in Titan Quest. You'd just have to click a few more times to skip through.

Comment

If there is (limited) dialog, there could be (limited) choice options ?

Talking to a few NPCs would open a window as if merchant, etc.
                    You would be given a choice, which could impact on the game story. I am mainly thinking about factions and reputation (if implemented).

You are proposed an optional (or alternative) quest. You accept it. You are given quest items, a better acceptance in that faction, but a lower one in the enemy faction.
                    You are coming back for a quest reward. You choose a symbolic reward and gain a better acceptance or a new quest. You choose to deprive the orphan from his father's weapon and gain a powerful item, at the price of your reputation.

Something just simple, functional and useful (basically, the choice of the reward).

Comment

Just to chime in

I've never been favorable toward 'silent' protagonists. Master Chief, Link, every FPS character ever.

People say they prefer a 'blank slate' character so they can fully immerse themselves in the game world, well I don't buy that at all. I hate heroic mimes, it's like they do everything in the game just because. I like it better when characters have their own voice and personality. For example I was really pleased when Isaac from Dead Space finally got his own voice so I can hear his thoughts, rather than me going 'well he's a guy on a derelict space fighting nightmarish space zombies, so why isn't he scared shitless and saying anything or reacting at all?'

And also the followers from Diablo III. I was really pleased that they turned from generic mercenaries to individuals with their own dialogue, personality and motivations. In fact I found their personal stories more interesting than the main story.

Certainly we should be able to skip dialogue. I don't always want to listen to the farmer's sad sob story, I want to go out and bash some skulls. And of course after playing through the game one or two times you don't want to listen to the same stuff over and over.

Dialogue should be kept short and to the point so that players don't lose interest halfway through. But again I say, if we have good writing and good voice acting then the occasional conversation can be very interesting to lisen through. Again, I really liked the followers in D3, I think that was one thing that was done right.

EDIT

Forgot to mention. I like the idea that your choice of mastery would influence what voice acting/dialogue your character would speak with. Maybe the VA/dialogue being influenced primarily by the first or primary master, and some influence by the secondary mastery. Although that will likely end up being way too much work what with all the combinations of five masteries. (can't do math sorry).
                      Last edited by Mysterioso; 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I'm in favor of a hero with personality but, in an arpg, it really doesn't matter as much. I'd prefer personality, but would not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Basing dialogue choices on a master tree seems like a huge endeavor and I would rather that effort go into other mechanics, personally. I am definitely against having chat bubbles. I've always felt those were out of place in the Japanese and Korean games I've played that have them. I think they would prove to be more so in a game with the setting of Grim Dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by HimSigung View Post
                          I'm in favor of a hero with personality but, in an arpg, it really doesn't matter as much. I'd prefer personality, but would not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Basing dialogue choices on a master tree seems like a huge endeavor and I would rather that effort go into other mechanics, personally. I am definitely against having chat bubbles. I've always felt those were out of place in the Japanese and Korean games I've played that have them. I think they would prove to be more so in a game with the setting of Grim Dawn.
                          +1

No to chat bubbles and essentially your character is a blank slate because you were possessed by an aetherial being. If anything they could add in that your mind is wiped or something, maybe have later quests/side quests where a character recognizes you or something. Might be something to explore around.

We'll have to see, maybe CE will make a few changes later.
                          Shadows of darkness Ever watching without sight Linger in silence
                          Screams of dying breath Of all hope forever lost Dismay Fear then Death
                          Darkness now sated Without hunger they will wait Mercy unheard of

Comment

I think that giving the character a variable personality that can be customized would be fine. I don't know how much of their time and money the devs would have to invest in that, especially considering it's not a major trait of the game, but it could be done in a way where you could: 1) Choose in character creation amongst a few basic demeanors (agressive, calm, quiet, etc.) that is how NeverwinterNights did it.. awesome game. 2) Make the personality class dependant. That's how PoE (Path of Exile) does it and works fine. 3) Mix both of them, which would result in a huge variaton such as insightful Nighblades or Agressive Occultists.

PS: I really love how in PoE they have random comments made by your character. That really makes them feel alive and immersive since you can kind of "hear their thoughts" about the game world instead of just watching them respond when they are talked to.

Comment

Working...
                            X