- Dual Class System allows you to combine any of five distinct skill classes. Advance your class mastery to unlock over 25 powerful skills and synergistic modifiers per class. Additional classes will be released with expansions.
- Choice and Consequence gives you power to shape the world and affect the fate of many. Tough decisions will leave significant impact as strangers on the road, families in need and even entire villages may live or perish based on your actions. With great power comes great responsibility and it is not always easy to predict the outcome of your choices in a world driven to desperate extremes.
- Faction-Based Questing lets the player improve their relations with different NPC groups to earn rewards as their favor increases such as merchant discounts, new items, and additional quest lines. However, aiding one faction could turn a rival faction into your enemy. Choose which side you will support! (Currently working but will be greatly expanded later in 2014)
- Refined Loot Drops result in less junk items and ensure more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.
- Brutal Combat featuring blood spatters, dismemberment and physics based ragdoll. Crush enemies into a pulp, blow them to bits or send them flying over a ledge to their doom.
- 150+ Hero Monsters individually designed, named and configured with their own special skills provide unique, challenging experiences. You never know where or when enemy heroes may appear and even after hundreds of hours of play, you'll continue to find new names you've never seen before. Occasionally two or more heroes can spawn together to create an ultimate challenge!
- Destructible Environments give evidence of your massive battles as you kick through house doors, destroy furniture and smash crumbling walls to reveal secret passages.
- Dynamic Weather brings the world to life with region-specific climates and a variety of weather effects. A sunny day can cloud over with mild rainshowers that builds into a booming thunderstorm. Variable wind gusts blow grass and affect objects like windmills and lanterns.
- Multiplayer allows you to connect with old friends or make new enemies in co-op and pvp modes. (coming later in 2014)
- Recipe-Based Crafting will produce powerful equipment and consumables. Collect recipes from enemies, chests or quest rewards and add them to your crafting compendium. Powerful recipes can call for exotic items found in the remote corners of the world. Higher tier recipes can use lower tier crafted items as ingredients, resulting in a pyramidal build up to the most uber crafted accessories.
- Controllable Camera Rotation enhances the three-dimensionality of the world and gameplay while levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera.
- More features are in the works and will be announced as Grim Dawn nears release.